6/30/11 Ernesto: A little monkey with a lot of talent

Ernesto is a white-faced capuchin monkey here at Jungle Friends whose interests include lounging in his runway, climbing through the trees in his habitat, and playing with his best monkey friend, Hayley.

But Ernesto is far from average. With a pitching arm to rival some of Major League Baseball's most famous, Ernesto's favorite game is pelting interns and volunteers with a variety of things lying around his habitat. Ernesto loves experimenting with new items to throw; food, rocks, sticks, and surprisingly large pieces of tree bark are only a few things I've had to avoid when passing by Ernesto's habitat. He will throw anything that will fit through the openings in the fence. Some might find it annoying or spiteful, but Ernesto is simply enjoying himself, as you can tell by the way he "laughs" after he succeeds in hitting someone.

Just a few days ago, I had my back toward Ernesto's habitat when I was inevitably hit by a flying monkey biscuit. When I turned to look at the little troublemaker responsible, Ernesto had turned his head upside down and was staring at me with his mouth wide open in pure amusement. I couldn't help but laugh right back at him.

Here is a video of Ernesto having a great time throwing the contents of his diet bowl at Vicky - ooh was that soup he tossed at you?


3 comments:

  1. Ernesto is the best oh, but he is a pest though...OK, enough of my Ernie poem:-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. ERNESTO PESTO! If he isn't flirting with you, he is usually throwing something at you! I will never forget one of the interns turning around, after Ernesto had thrown a biscuit at her, and her having this massive red welt on her forehead the rest of the day! I couldn't help but bust out laughing. He really does have good aim! I don't remember how many times I have gotten pegged by him- Watch out while raking guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember cleaning the habitats next to him, a good 10ft away from where he was watching me aqnd the others so intensely. He still manaaged to hit me square on the forehead with a monkey biscuit! The worse thing he threw at me was his poop, which hit my cheek!!!

    ReplyDelete