6/29/22 For The Birds


While Jungle Friends' main priority is taking in abused monkeys, we also care for other species of animals. If you've ever visited the Jungle Friends Youtube channel, you've probably seen the videos on Ivor, the kinkajou that was mistaken for a brown lemur! There are four parrots living as a group - an umbrella cockatoo, a moluccan cockatoo, a blue and gold macaw, and a harlequin macaw.
One of the parrots, Freddie, even tries to sing Yellow Submarine and Row Your Boat! The macaws have made their own love nest right next to the door to their enclosure, so we have to be careful not to get to close! The cockatoos seem to take a general disliking to girls and are more comfortable with boys. They may not be the friendliest animals, but they are still considered family members at the sanctuary.

7 comments:

  1. It's really funny when Freddie sways back and forth and whistles at the male volunteers who walk by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Freddie especially likes our volunteer, Jason! The birds at Jungle Friends also laugh, make turkey noises, and are quite clever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will never forget the day where we were running really behind and I was busting my butt to get raking done as fast as possible, and I hear this laughing and chattering going on in the distance. I started to get really upset, thinking how can the other interns be goofing off when they need to be busting their butts like me. This kept going on and finally I got so upset I walked over to where the noise was coming from, only to realize that it was the birds mimicking us talking to the monkeys! I couldn't help but laugh at myself for it, because I knew that the interns wouldn't do something like that to begin with. Those silly birds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta love those birds - even if they don't love you back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved Ashlei's story, what she doesn't know is that the birds were laughing at her only because all of the interns started it :-)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the new interior upgrade to their cage. Kudos to the people who came up with all the fun toys for the birds!

    ReplyDelete